Although food poisoning can be found in every age groups but the elders, who have weak immune system, tends to risk it more. Food poisoning cause from contaminated food or drinks. When it’s consumed, the intestine’s mechanism will stimulate mild to severe discomfort. It causes dehydration, stomachache, or bloody diarrhea, severe abdominal pain, nausea, vomit, high fever, body ache, joint pain. Clostridium tetani bacterium effects to muscular weakness, paralysis, including fatal Apnea. Hot weather in our country is, especially, the supportive factor to the risk of food poisoning.
Apart from, warmer weather which leads to bacterial growth, dietary choice shouldn’t be overlooked. Undercooked and unclean food should be avoided.
Treatment for food poisoning
– Immediately see doctors for severe symptoms
– Frequently sip water, clean ice, or oral rehydration salts to prevent dehydration
– No drink or eat if there’s abdominal pain or nausea as it worsen
– No mushroom and seafood to avoid severe contamination
– Don’t take an anti-diarrhea drug as the body is trying to expel the bacteria.
– When it’s relieved, try to eat small portion of mild food, like broth, and observe the symptom.
– Drink clean water at least 8-10 glasses if there’s no instruction from the doctor
– Take adequate rest and basic hygiene
Food poisoning in elders is normally not a severe case and will resolve within 2-3 days. However, the infection during the low immune system can cause a fatal disease. So, please do take care of basic hygiene, have clean and proper cooked food, and maintain good health.