Alzheimer’s disease is usually found in the elderly. The more aged they are, the more risky to acquire it.This disease is regarded as a serious problem as it directly affects the well-being of the elderly as well as people around them, especially caregivers. That is because the major symptom of the disease is amnesia, which has greatimpacts on patients’ performance. Living their daily life, joining social activities, emotional and personality changes, for instance.
Basically, the symptoms of Alzheimer’s diseasegradually emerges and in due time. Each patient may not possess all symptoms. Only some particular ones can appear, yet they keep increasing. Sometimes they seem to be stable for a period of time, but then they will certainly get worse. When it reaches the next stage, there will be some changes in behaviors and personalities. For example, patients become aggressive; and memories, thoughts, and reasoning will greatly degenerate. When the symptoms become severe, patients will completely lose those attributes, resulting in inability to help themselves for daily routines. They might have to merely lie still on their beds without a single move, and might die of complications such as lung infection.
How to decelerate neuron degeneration:
1. Eat healthy food in appropriate portions that are sufficient for body. Have less high-cholesterol food; choose one with carbohydrate and high fibers; and focus more on vegetables as well as fruits in order to increase natural antioxidants. Also drink 8 glasses of water at least. Take nutrients that help nourish brain functions. Avoid very sweet or very salty dishes, preserves, food with monosodium glutamate, and tea/cola which occupies high amounts of caffeine.
2. Stay in clean airy areas without overcrowding, pollutions, dusts, chemical substances, or too many noises.
3. Exercise regularly in spaces with fresh air, 3 days a week at least.
4. Have enough sleep so that your brain will not work too hard or you will not feel too weary.
5. Avoid strain or know how to relieve it. Because either too much or too long strain often leads to malfunctions of brain. Smoking and drinking alcohols should be absolutely quitted as well.
6. Join social activities/events to motivate your brain for trying new experiences like singing, playing games, dancing, making new friends, and recalling the past.
7. Always practice thinking or memory. Calculating stuffs while shopping or try the addition of car licenses, for example.
8. Arrange environments in your house for better facilitation and more safety with no slippery areas. For example, provide handrails in bathrooms; keep floors dry; have enough lights; be careful of sharp weapons; and do not relocate stuffs too often.
Although Alzheimer’s disease cannot be cured, intimate careand good self-conduct can enhance quality of life among the elderly with this disease.